The main role of the Society is to support the profession locally. The Society offers training, social events and represents members’ interests.
THE SOCIETY IS ABLE TO OFFER ADVICE TO MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC ON THE FOLLOWING MATTERS
- Finding a local solicitor with a particular specialism.
- Tracing a solicitor or firm where there has been a change of name, merger or closure.
THE SOCIETY ITSELF DOES NOT OFFER LEGAL ADVICE
WE ARE PLEASED TO OFFER OUR MEMBERS THE FOLLOWING SERVICES
- Range of CPD courses covering all aspects of practice.
- The arrangement of ad hoc meetings and presentations on matters of interest to the profession.
- Opportunities to meet with other solicitors within the area via our social events including the Annual Dinner.
- Liaison with and representation to the Law Society on professional matters.
- The publication of a regular magazine, HAMPSHIRE LEGAL, containing news and articles of special interest to local practitioners.
- Promote understanding of the work and function of the profession and promoting Hampshire as a centre of legal excellence
- Promote standards; assist in the regulation of the profession and to protect the character, status, rights and interests of the members of the Society, and the profession generally.
- Give a voice to our members through lobbying government locally, regionally and nationally and to the Law Society.
- To promote and provide improved legal education.
- To provide social and business networking opportunities within and amongst the local profession and business community
- Communicate effectively with the local profession items of interest
- By our relationship with the local universities to encourage and support the study of law and to promote interaction and an exchange of opportunities
The Society is managed by an Executive Committee and is divided up into various sub-committees – a list of these and who chairs each one is listed below. The committees meet quarterly throughout the year and are elected annually at the AGM which this year is on Tuesday 2 December.
In 1892 the solicitors of Portsmouth and Southampton got together with a view to forming an association which would be able to liaise on their behalf with the national Law Society, and at the same time form a local body who could help members of the profession in carrying out their tasks, give an opportunity for members to meet each other and help the general public in their search for local firms to assist them with their legal problems. It was agreed that the society should operate within the geographical county of Hampshire (then known as the county of Southampton. The Society became incorporated in 1897).
Kristina is a solicitor who specialises is family law, and is a member of the Law Society Family Law Panel. Kristina is a resolution trained mediator. Kristina is a sports enthusiast and is a season ticket holder for her home team Saints FC.
Joe is a litigation lawyer dealing in a range of commercial and private disputes. He has been involved in a number of high profile cases such as the News of the World phone hacking litigation and has represented household names in multiple actions against the Daily Mirror. Joe also accepts instructions across the spectrum of Family Law and is a member of Resolution. Originally called to the Bar by Middle Temple Joe also does much of his own Family Court advocacy.
Outside the law, Joe is an Ambassador for Dementia UK, on the Board of Trustees of Citizens Advice (Isle of Wight), a careers mentor with University College London and a primary school governor.
Deputy Vice President
Business Development Officer
Alison has had nearly 18 year's experience of working with professional bodies, her background is with RICS where she focused on member services and events for surveyors across London and the South East of England. For the past two years she has been working with Hampshire Law Society trying to find new ways to enhance the profession locally whilst providing the best possible service to members.
Nicola has worked part time at Hampshire Law Society for 12 years doing various administration work including organising our yearly CPD programme and other one day conferences, managing the subscriptions, dealing with queries from the public searching for a solicitor maintaining the website, organising copy for the magazine Hampshire Legal and planning various social events including the annual dinner.
Complaints | Kristina Colmer
Education & Training | Anthony Harris
Litigation & Dispute Resolution | Russell Evans
PR l Joe Robertson
Publicity | Mo Aldridge
Regulation | Adrienne Edgerley-Harris
Social | Emilie Holland
Why not follow us on Twitter and join our LinkedIn page for all the news and events from Hampshire Law Society.
Download this months copy of the journal of the Hampshire Law Society.